Sunday, October 4, 2015

You Do Not Complete Me - A Love Poem

Though our hands fit together like puzzle pieces
and my head rests perfectly in the crook of your neck.
Even if we are #relationshipgoals
You do not complete me.

We may be responsible kids
who have a little too much fun when we can afford it
but you do not complete me.

Do not get me wrong - I love you.
You just don't complete me.

Because implying that you complete me
implies that I am not complete.
And when you first told me you liked me

I told you

Wait.

I am not alright.

So you were a friend when I needed you to be,
Because you knew a piece of me had been so badly broken-
like a wine glass shattered on my bedroom floor
because I had tried to drink myself numb.

And anyone would tell you that shattered glass can never be what it was before.

But I don't want to be that glass-
filled with poison made to make me numb.

I went through fire and
I went through hell-
And I refuse to be what I was before.

"You need to learn to love yourself before anyone will ever love you" I was told.

You showed me that love is unconditional - having no rules - infinite.

you helped me to pick up the scattered pieces of me without trying to force them back in place.

And now understanding that
 I am not who I was before.
I took that shattered glass -
     
       broken
                     sharp
                                  unforgiving
                                                      bitter.

And turned it into a stained glass window.

                                                 Beautiful.
                                       Bold.
                        Loving.
        Merciful.

I could not have done it without you by my side.

You do not complete me solely because I have chosen to complete myself.
But you are the sun shining thru the window
bringing light to my life and helping me know my true beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Um this was the most inspirational thing I've read yet on the blogs. Thanks. Just thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the things about being a broken glass and turning yourself into a stained glass window and i'm rambling but i really loved this so yeah

    ReplyDelete