Sunday, October 11, 2015

All That Matters is the Body Count

They don't care how many high school graduates feel prepared for adult life.
They only care if you graduate.
Strike that. They don't give a shit about you: they care about their own reputation.
It's not about the lessons learned, or the memories you made. It's about the body count.
Graduation rates in the United states were at 79% as of 2011. Last year it was at 81.4% .
You really think they're trying to prepare you for life?
You really think they care if you're mentally stable?
You really think they care how successful you are in 20 years?
They don't care.
Because public education is a mold that we as children are forced into at age four. The water isn't hot right away, but by age twelve some have started to realize that school is not about becoming smarter, it's about fitting in. Learning how to write for a grade. Standardized tests that don't quite make sense to those of us that haven't figured all it out quite yet.

So kids start to check out, abusing the check out slips that cause us to slip, walking not down hallways but down alleyways. Looking for something to numb the pain. Ironically we learn that gravity pushes us down, but I feel higher than ever Mr. Bell! Can't you see that my grades are not a reflection of my brain, but a representation of what my hands can remember.

Don't you realize that numbers don't make sense in my head, and that's why I'm always reading Ms. Lyons. Do you realize I'm not stupid, I just don't excel in your class. And because I do not excel in your class I do not meet the classifications that are set. And because I do not meet the expectations put in front of me, they blind me. The brick wall of students that have learned to fit in are blocking my view of the architecture I could be.

So

Listen up. Class of 2016. 

Standardized tests and maths and multiple choices and free response questions do not define our ability to stand out. They do not predict our happiness in ten years.

So if you're not one of the High Honor Role students who has learned to fit into the mold - make your own wall. Be your own piece of art.

And if you are the straight A student - You're doing an excellent job. But don't forget to realize that you are much more than a brick in a wall.

And for those of you who fall anywhere in between - best of luck to you.



3 comments: